Saturday, March 10, 2018

Around the World in 24 Hours

I spent my entire life dreaming of travelling the world, experiencing different cultures, and learning about life in different parts of the world, so when Garza mentioned the Skype-a-thon I was more than excited!! My excitement continued to grow as weeks went by. By the time it was March 7th and I was suppose to be sleeping, my mind was racing and I felt like a kid waiting on Christmas. I arrived on campus about 8:30 am on March 8, ready to prep for the kids and event!

Once the kids showed up, I could see they were just as excited as I was! We gathered with our families, and began preparing for the next 24 hours with each other. We prepared for some of our talks, found a spot for all of our stuff, went over the rules, took some selfies, and did our first confession video! My family included 8 awesome kiddos: Van H, Rabby, Ruda, Zai, Siang, Van V, Ngun, and Ring!


We started our Skypes, and seeing the kids talk to people all around the world was an amazing experience! They did a wonderful job taking turns talking, speaking loud and clear, and asking some great questions! The first few hours were easy, but after a while, the tiredness started creeping in! I knew I needed to keep energy high to keep the kids going! We sang songs, had a plank challenge, tried to eat Oreos off our faces with using our hands, played just dance, played Wii, and spent some time running around in the gym.





The kids did a great job staying up! A few of the kids gave into sleep late into the night (early in morning actually!), but Van H, Ngun, and Ring (minus a cat nap in the morning around 8 ish) and I made it ALL NIGHT LONG! For me, the night was easy to get through, I just kept moving, but the next day was rough! I think I had more caffeine in my veins than blood!


I learned so much through this experience! I cannot thank Garza enough for allowing me this opportunity. I will never forget this experience, and I have made some lasting memories and friendships (with both students and teachers!). I hope next year is just as great!!



We did it guys! I don't know how, but we made it through!! 

-Selz
Aka Mom to DMS Chinos



No comments:

Post a Comment

Revolvermap: Delay World Tour

Search This Blog